big improvement in BIND9 auth-server startup time

Mark K. Pettit pettit at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Aug 8 22:49:09 UTC 2011

Not sure where to report this, but there's a problem in the documentation of BIND 9.7.4, as distributed by ISC.

The Release Notes included in the bind-9.7.4 tarball, as well as the release notes on the web site:

  ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.7.4/RELEASE-NOTES-BIND-9.7.4.html

state that the environment variable to improve loading times for name servers with large numbers of zones is:

  BIND9_ZONE_TASKS_HINTS

But that is incorrect.  The actual variable name is:

  BIND9_ZONE_TASKS_HINT

I discovered this because I was curious how this change was implemented (I had not seen the blog post http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201107/major-improvement-bind-9-startup-performance when I started to look into this), and couldn't find the string "BIND9_ZONE_TASKS_HINTS" anywhere in the source code.