Is there a way to disable dnssec validation for a single zone?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Aug 5 00:37:27 UTC 2011

In message <CA603693.38DA5%ron.dodson at lmco.com>, "Dodson, Ron" writes:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to disable dnssec validation for a single zone?

No.

> The people wh
> o run the dns for ojp.usdoj.gov have broken dnssec.  Usdoj.gov delegates ojp.
> usdoj.gov and has a DS record for ojp.usdoj.gov.  Ojp.usdoj.gov is unsigned,
> and has no corresponding dnskey record, so validation fails.  Users here, who
> must reach various something.ojp.usdoj.gov hosts cannot do so as the names a
> re unresolvable on our network.

Well call them up on the phone and complain that their DNS servers
are broken.  +1-202-514-2000

It should take seconds to get the DS records removed.  They can then
re-do the secure delegation once the zone is signed.

> The last time there was a dns issue with usdoj.gov, it took about 3 weeks for
> them to fix it.  I'd like to come up with a way to resolve ojp.usdoj.gov nam
> es without disabling validation altogether until they fix their issues.  I've
> tried setting ojp.usdoj.gov as a forward zone and forwarding to a non-valida
> ting resolver, but that doesn't seem to work.

If it takes 3 weeks to get things fixed then someone is plain incompetent.

Mark