Autodetection of IP address for nsupdate of A record

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:41:48 UTC 2011

> Over the years I wondered why public dynamic DNS services reinvented
> these wheels, with custom clients rather than using nsupdate. Now it
> makes sense.

How I wish they'd used a term other than "dynamic DNS" for their
services, though...

>              While indeed, RFC 2136 had *me* covered, it didn't scale
> well to provide this service to the masses.

Indeed; imagine having to provide consumer routers with SIG(0) keys...  :)

Another advantage of offering a CGI (or RESTful) update interface
between your clients and your DNS server is that you can typically
easily plug authentication/authorization into whatever is available,
e.g. LDAP, SQL, etc.

        -JP