slave AXFR bind9

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Thu Apr 21 10:00:08 UTC 2011

hugo hugoo wrote:
> I use a server called "lenny" where the zone is idendified as slave.
> I use a server called custmaster where the zone is master.

You're hiding data from us, for example:
> bind9testcarlos.be.     86400   IN      NS      ns.uat.
> bind9testcarlos.be.     86400   IN      NS      ns2.uat.
> ns.bind9testcarlos.be.  3600    IN      A       1.2.3.4
> ns2.bind9testcarlos.be. 3600    IN      A       1.2.3.4

You've obfuscated the IP-addresses for ns.bind9testcarlos.be /
ns2.bind9testcarlos.be - and you've done it in a way meaning I don't
_really_ know if you've given them the same IP-address for real either.

Here's what I _think_ might be happening, but which I can't really know
since you hide the information I've asked for before (such as the
configuration of your zone).
Your master DNS will only send notifies to nameservers that handle the
zone according to:
- being mentioned with NS records in the zonefile (in your example, that
would be ns.uat and ns2.uat)
- nameservers mentioned with also-notify statement in your named.conf

I'm guessing that your slave server isn't listed as with NS record in the
zonefile, and isn't listed with also-notify either. Am I right?

Regards
Eivind Olsen
eivind at aminor.no