Forwarding a subzone of a master zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Apr 20 14:34:35 UTC 2011

I'd like to reinforce what Chris said, and recommend the use of an
internal root zone for networks/enterprises which have no public
Internet connectivity, or whose connectivity to the Internet is
exclusively through application-level proxies. Don't make Internet names
resolvable on your internal network if that resolution isn't necessary
-- this provides a level of security in addition to your other levels
(see "Defense in Depth"), since many worms and malware can't recover
from DNS resolution failure of whatever Internet name they're trying to
resolve. It also allows you to better control your own DNS destiny,
including "blackholing" of various domains, if that should become
necessary in an emergency. Another optional benefit is it allows you to
centrally control your mail routing, if you have MTAs that use the
standard MX-record method of routing SMTP mail.

A lot of people seem to be scared by the prospect of setting up their
own root zone. It's really not much different than any other zone,
except that
-- there is no delegation from any parent zone (obviously), and
-- all of your other nameservers need to slave, stub, forward or have
"hints" files referring to your own internal root-zone infrastructure,
rather than the Internet root-zone infrastructure. This means you can't
use the compiled-in defaults for the root zone, but those are useless to
you anyway if you don't have direct connectivity to those nameservers.

                                                                     - Kevin