BIND 9.8.0 + openssl 1.0.0d + chroot == "issues"

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 19 21:14:17 UTC 2011

I have had 2 reports now of people using BIND 9.8.0 on FreeBSD compiled
against openssl 1.0.0d not being able to chroot unless they copy
$PREFIX/lib/engines/libgost.so into the chroot environment.
Traditionally, copying libs into the chroot directory has not been
necessary, so I'm curious. Building 9.8 against the default openssl in
the FreeBSD base (0.9.8q) I have not experienced this problem.

I haven't actually tried this with 1.0.0d myself yet, so I thought I'd
ask about it here first before filing a bug report. Could this be a
(previously unknown form of) user error? Or is it an actual BIND bug (or
an openssl bug for that matter)?

Thanks,

Doug

			-- OK Go