start script for bind9

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Thu Apr 14 17:37:41 UTC 2011

YMMV wrt "just works".  Yes, running the latest ISC bind can be worthwhile
after the OS distribution stops updating (or before it gets around to
packaging the latest ISC version.)

People considering the approach suggested by David & Alan should be aware
that the OS startup files often do more than just running named.

For example, under fedora: checkconf, checkzone, chroot and (in some
versions) selinux setup are handled in /etc/init.d/named, along with quite a
few sanity checks.

You may be better off copying the OS script & changing it to run named from
/usr/local/sbin if your environment is non-trivial.

Even if it's not, it's worth doing a few sanity checks (like making sure
networking is up).

In any case, be sure to understand what you're giving up if you elect to go
with the "just works" defaults in the named executable.  It may be OK for
some, but I tend to be more careful with important systems.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.