priority with A record?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Apr 11 20:52:42 UTC 2011

On 4/8/2011 2:42 PM, John Wobus wrote:
> All the previously-mentioned issues apply, but (obviously)
> round robin could be made to offer a select server twice as
> often by giving that server an additional address and
> A record.  Something similar for nameservers could
> be devised.
Mostly unnecessary for nameservers, since as previously mentioned RTT
(round-trip time) values are used for nameserver selection, if
available, and is tracked by IP address, not by nameserver name.
> I had a vague recollection that one could simply
> duplicate an A record in the zone file, but perhaps my
> memory is playing tricks on me.

That may have worked at one time, but not for anything that conforms to
RFC 2181 (published July 1997), Section 5 ("It is meaningless for two
records to ever have label, class, type and data all equal - servers
should suppress such duplicates if encountered").

                             - Kevin