A beginners question regarding a caching-only name server

Patrick Rynhart P.Rynhart at massey.ac.nz
Mon Apr 11 05:02:22 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,

On 9/04/2011 12:37 a.m., andrew wales wrote:

> Remember that rndc dumpdb doesn't actually dump the cache to stdout.
> Has it actually written to named_dump.db in named's working directory?
> Regards,
>
> Andrew

Thanks - you are spot on here :-)  I was expecting the DB to be written
to stdout.  One thing that I have noticed, however, is that only
information relating to the most recently resolved DNS hostname is being
dumped.  (If I set my /etc/resolv.conf on my client accordingly and then
ping a bunch of different domains then I only get results for the last
query.) Perhaps this because I have a "forwarders" directive (i.e. BIND
is not actually functioning as a caching name server at present ?).

Cheers,

Patrick