DNS record delegation

Torinthiel torinthiel at data.pl
Sun Apr 10 20:38:05 UTC 2011

On 04/10/11 20:42, Parashar Singh wrote:
> We want to be able to point the wild card (*.domain.com
> <http://domain.com>) and the root domain (domain.com
> <http://domain.com>) to the GLB’s while not breaking the other custom
> prefixes within that domain’s record (stage.domain.com
> <http://stage.domain.com>, foo.domain.com <http://foo.domain.com>, etc.).
> Except some 10-20 A records, as declared in zone file, for all other DNS
> lookup request shall be forwarded to Global Load Balancer.
> Allow any records on the DNS server to resolve to the respective records
> on DNS.
> All other records are captured by the wildcard and load balanced.
> The load balancers will forward the queries to the Apache web servers
> which will direct users to the appropriate website.
>
> Can you suggest, how we can configure BIND to do above setup.

if you type
*.domain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
in your zone file, bind interprets this as
"every record that is not configured otherwise should get a record of
type A and value 1.2.3.4"

So, if I understand correctly what you want to do, just specify normal A
records for special domains and root domain as well, and add the
wildcard record.

For this example assume 1.2.3.4 is IP of GLB, and 4.3.2.1 is IP of
machine serving other stuff.
So the following zone fragment should work

$ORIGIN domain.com.
@ NS ...
@ A 1.2.3.4
stage A 4.3.2.1
foo  A 4.3.2.1
* A 1.2.3.4
END FRAGMENT

of course stage and foo can have different IP addresses, and you
probably want to add MX and other records as well.
Torinthiel