BIND9 fails resolving after connecting to VPN

kapetr kapetr at mizera.cz
Fri Apr 8 17:27:36 UTC 2011

Hello,

[first sorry please my English]

I have installed Bind9 on Ubuntu 10.10 - just for personal use (no
zones, ...).

I did not have any problems until I now try to use some free VPN
services based on PPTP or OpenVPN.

After connect to them (new network device created - tun or tap and
default route changes) my BIND is not able to reach other (root)
nameservers. And resolve requests fails.

Restarting of BIND service do not help.

These VPN services do not offer own DNS servers and do not change
/etc/resolv.conf.

If I change my resolf.conf to e.g ISPs DNS server, I can then
normally
surf on web, ... == VPN works ok, routes are ok too.

After shutting down the VPN, my BIND then works normally again.

In attachment are ip routes before and after up of VPN and logs of
VPN itself and log of my BIND.

PLEASE HELP me to get working my BIND also when VPN connection is
active.
My knowlidge about BIND config is minimal and I have no Idea, why
all apps can communicate over the new route (over the VPN) and BIND
fails and logs: network unreachable. If I see on the BIND log, is
not tho problem with IPv6 (which I do not use (and understand))?

Thanks

--kapetr