9.8.0 in 2008 R2 x64 server

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Apr 6 00:05:51 UTC 2011

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1104052216180.2544 at bikeshed.isc.org>, Dan Mahoney w
rites:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
>
> > I'm moving one of our DNS servers (Win 2003 R2, v9.7.0) to a new 2008 R2 x6
> 4
> > server.
> >
> > After installing v9.8.0 I copied the /etc directory & subdirectories, the
> > named user has full rights in relevant directories and "log on as a service
> "
> > rights... still I get the following error in eventviewer when trying to sta
> rt
> > the service:
> >
> > "none:0: open: C:\Windows\system32\dns\etc\named.conf: file not found"
> >
> > Any ideas?  The named.conf file IS there, and the directories/datafiles are
> > identical to our old, working server.  Tested with "administator" as the us
> er
> > as well, same problem.

Windows Vista and Windows 2008 maps system32 filenames to a different
location that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I would uninstall named and then re-install it in "C:\Program Files\ISC\BIND9"
or similar to avoid the mapping.  The location of the configuration files
are stored in the registry so everything should work if you do this.