bind 9.7.1-P2 startup: unable to set effective gid to 0

aldus jung aldusj99 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 18:42:48 UTC 2010

We recently upgraded from bind version 9.7.0 to 9.7.1-P2 and we noticed that
upon start of named, we are seeing the following warning message:

 [ID 123 daemon.warning] unable to set effective gid to 0: Not owner
 [ID 123 daemon.info] generating session key for dynamic DNS
 [ID 123 daemon.warning] unable to set effective gid to 0: Not owner

On our DNS server, root user is configured as uid=0(root) gid=1(other), but
we didn't encounter these warnings in version 9.7.0.
It would be easy to work around the warnings by adding root to root's group,
but I wanted to understand why we are getting these warning when we didn't
see this on 9.7.0.

Which file or directory is named trying to set gid to 0?

thanks for your help,
AJ