out of place mx records.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Oct 28 10:56:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Gregory Machin wrote:

> My question is why would "IN    MX    10    mcvpemr01" and "IN    MX
>  10    mcvpemr02" be repeated trough the zone file surely this is
> redundant ?

Some hostmasters like to ensure that mail is not directed to hosts that do
not listen on SMTP. They prefer misdirected mail to be rejected
immediately rather than waiting days for the sending system to time out.
Some of my colleagues have this setup on the zones they manage
(eng.cam.ac.uk and cl.cam.ac.uk).

Tony.
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,
DECREASING 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER IN HUMBER AND THAMES. MODERATE OR
ROUGH. RAIN THEN FAIR. GOOD.