bind9.7.1 Skipping lots of Zone Transfers

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:45:58 UTC 2010

Ah, the wonderful world of high stakes no-return upgrades!

	I turned on a new installation of bind9.7.1 after
running it in slave mode for a few days and:

26-Oct-2010 07:30:46.497 zone 78.139.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN: refresh:
skipping zone transfer as master 139.78.100.1#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0) is unreachable (cached)

	These messages are flying in fast and furious at a rate
of about 1500 in 4 hours and the master is otherwise answering
queries and seems to be well. Nothing like going from test mode
to production to find out the truth.

	The slave from which I got these errors is also a brand
new installation of bind9.7.1 and is on the same switch as the
master.

	If the problem is with the slave configuration, I am not
as concerned as if it is the master so I am trying to figure
this out sooner rather than later as it looks like something
that might effect our site lookups.

	Any ideas are appreciated. Most of the error messages in
bind9.7.1 are fairly self-explanitory but this one has me
scratching my head.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer