Clarification on delegated NS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Oct 22 21:41:32 UTC 2010

In message <AANLkTi=nFu6aVy5TnbCc2wyRp0fCkh1gsKGzL4O8A5hb at mail.gmail.com>, rams
 writes:
> Hi ,
>
> When I created delegated NS record. Bind 9.7.1 p3 is giving SERVFAIL , when
> i queried for NS delegated record with NS.
>
> Could you please clarify me or is it bug in 9.7?

To see the delegation you need to make a non recursive query (+norec).

	dig +norec ns zone @parent

You are supposed to set up the child zone *FIRST* then add the delegation
that way you don't have a lame delegation.  When removing a zone you remove
the delegating NS records then once the NS records have cleared the cache
you remove the zone from the nameservers.  Similarly when changing the
nameservers, you configure the new nameservers, you change the NS records,
you wait for the NS records to clear caches, then remove the zone from the
old servers.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC