more flexible serial number handling in dnssec-signzone

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Fri Oct 15 18:09:44 UTC 2010

On 16/10/10 4:54 AM, Niobos wrote:

> What's the advantage of using a date anyway? I too can see when a zone
> was last edited, even down to the second, by watching the RRSIG(SOA) timing.

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79359, Mar 24 2010, 01:32:55)
>>> import time, sys
>>> print time.time()
1287165703.67
>>> print time.asctime(time.gmtime())
Fri Oct 15 18:02:12 2010
>>> print sys.maxint
2147483647
>>> print time.asctime(time.gmtime(sys.maxint))
Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038

You don't have to worry about it yet, but it may be an issue in the
future.  Some 64-bit systems still report this same limitation as 32-bit
systems.  For some read: every one that I've checked this on.

Mind you, when the date rolls around we'll have bigger problems when
running systems that are affected by that.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben McGinnes  http://www.adversary.org/  Twitter: benmcginnes
    Systems Administrator, Writer, ICT Consultant