named-checkzone Test Runs

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Oct 13 21:13:37 UTC 2010

A list member wrote:
> named-checkzone doesn't need to read the named.conf file - it just makes
> sure that the zone is correct.  if you want to check named.conf, you will
> need to use named-checkconf
>
> For checking config, try
>
> named-checkconf -t [chroot directory] [relative path to named.conf]
>
> So, for you (if I understand your setup correctly) maybe something like
>
> named-checkconf -t /var/named /etc/named.conf
>

> For checking zones, try
>
> named-checkzone -w [working directory] [zonename] [relative path to the
> zonefile]

	This was a good reminder. After re-reading the man page
for named-checkzone, I tried named-compilezone and got it to
print out a usable zone plus analyse the quality of the records
in the zone. It appears that this is good for finding orphaned
MX records, etc.

named-compilezone -oDOMAIN.ZONE -j -k ignore okstate.edu /var/named/db/zonefilename

This compiles a useble zone, ignores name warnings and prints
all the dodgy MX records and other possible issues you may have
with this zone.

Martin McCormick