Unable to query the nameserver

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Oct 6 18:03:56 UTC 2010

Of course some versions of nslookup arent' "standard" even for nslookup.
The one on HP-UX actually interrogates local /etc/hosts file if
nsswitch.conf says to use files first.   I got so used to doing that for
years that when I tried to use nslookup on Linux back in 2005 I was
miffed because it was "broken" and only looked up from name servers.
(Someone even had the gall to point out that "ns"lookup was "name
server" lookup).  :-)