Unable to query the nameserver

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 6 14:47:41 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:35:32 -0400
> From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com>
> Sender: bind-users-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.isc.org

> >> How do you mean this one is working? It's working just as badly as your
> >> first example.
> >>

> > Yes, but typing the domain into Firefox brings up the webpage that
> > I've put on that server!
> >

> You're introducing a bunch of other variables when you use a browser to
> troubleshoot a DNS resolution problem:
> 1) The browser might have cached the DNS response
> 2) The browser might have cached the web content itself and not be
> performing DNS lookups
> 3) The browser might be using a PAC (proxy auto-config) file which
> shuffles the request off to some proxy
>
> I would suggest sticking to DNS troubleshooting tools to troubleshoot
> DNS. And dig/host is to be greatly preferred for that purpose over
> nslookup, which sucks in more ways than I care to list here.

I keep hoping for a BIND distro that upgrades nslookup(1) to:
  print STDERR, "nslookup(1) has been replaced by host(1)\n"; exit 0;

I've been wishing that nslookup would go away since back in BIND-v4
days. I could save a lot of troubleshooting time if I didn't get trouble
reports based on the use of nslookup that is misleading or not
completely bogus.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)