Unable to query the nameserver

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 19:35:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 08:48, Chiesa Stefano <Stefano.Chiesa at wki.it> wrote:
> Hello Dothan.
> You said: "The working site has both nameservers pointed to that same
> server (on two different IP addresses on eth0 and etho0:0)."
> So the question is "Are you sure you answer to queries on the proper
> interface?"
> Maybe you (for instance) receive a query on eth0:0 (1.1.2.2 ?) but
> answer on eth0 (1.1.1.1 ?)...

Could that be? I'd never considered that! How would I even check that?

> What is your default gateway?

[root at mercury html]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
### Hetzner Online AG - installimage
# device: eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=178.63.65.191
HWADDR=40:61:86:f5:43:1f
IPADDR=178.63.65.136
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
SCOPE="peer 178.63.65.129"
[root at mercury html]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
### Hetzner Online AG - installimage
# device: eth0
DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=178.63.65.191
HWADDR=40:61:86:f5:43:1f
IPADDR=178.63.65.188
NETMASK=255.255.255.192
SCOPE="peer 178.63.65.129"
[root at mercury html]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1
DEVICE=eth0:1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=178.63.65.191
HWADDR=40:61:86:f5:43:1f
IPADDR=178.63.65.171
NETMASK=255.255.255.192
SCOPE="peer 178.63.65.129"
[root at mercury html]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:2
DEVICE=eth0:2
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=178.63.65.191
HWADDR=40:61:86:f5:43:1f