Unable to query the nameserver

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Oct 5 19:02:25 UTC 2010

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris) wrote:
> Hello Dotan,
>

> Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:35:24 +0200 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>

>> The two domains names are sharingcenter.eu and sharingcenter.de. The
>> eu domain has ns1 and ns2 on the same server (IP addresses
>> 178.63.65.136 and 178.63.65.188) and works fine. The de domain has
>> ns1 on this same server (IP address 178.63.65.171) but ns2 on a
>> different server (IP address 88.198.21.168).
>>

> The commands
>
> dig @178.63.65.171 sharingcenter.de. soa +norec +short
> dig @88.198.21.168 sharingcenter.de. soa +norec +short
>
> were done without any delays or errors from my location so the UDP
> connections from the external hosts are fine too. If you still
> experience troubles while working with the registrar control panel you
> should consult with their support.

Eurodns is currently autoritative for sharingcenter.de domain. If he
wants to move the dns to his new servers and IP addresses, he needs to
create proper A records for ns1 and ns2.sharingcenter.de at eurodns
first. Eurodns won't let him move the dns until the new servers answer
properly. However they are not querying the ip addresses he is inputing
but the current A records eurodns returns when asking about ns1 or
ns2.sharingcenter.de. Those queries appear to be returning a wild card
entry of 80.92.66.130 for ns1 and ns2.sharingcenter.de. There is no name
server answering at 80.92.66.130 and thus Eurodns reports that name
server is not answering.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.