OT: Propagation of my NS records?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Oct 4 16:42:02 UTC 2010

> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:29:33 +0200
> From: Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net>
> Sender: bind-users-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.isc.org
>
> On 04/10/2010 16:01, online-reg wrote:
>
> > Hi All: I think this is a little OT, but I’m wondering why changes to
> > my NS records aren’t propagating when my NS is authoritative for my
> > domain?
> >
> > enigmedia.com is registered at NetSol and delegated to my NS:
> >
> > ns.enigmedia.com (running on bind9/fedora) ns1.enigmedia.com (running
> > on bind9/Freebsd)
> >
> > Global TTL is 3h and TTL for the “NS1” record is 1200, but after
> > changing the IP address of ns1 more than 24 hrs ago, it is not being
> > picked up by NetSol’s servers.
> >
> > NetSol is returning the old record: 209.159.154.165, while my zone
> > file has 216.218.228.131.
> >
> > I’ve seen this issue reported over the years, and the recommendation
> > seems to be “complain to NetSol”.
> >
> > Just wondering if something in my zone config is wrong, or if this is
> > normal for changes to NS records? NetSol is just ignoring my TTLs and
> > caching the old IP for as long as it wants?
>
> I don't think NetSol automatically checks for updates to glue records.
> You'll have to manually change the A records of your servers at NetSol
> for them to be able to propagate the glue into the com zone.

I know that netsol (and the other registrars) do not update glue based
on what is returned from an NS query to the current authoritative
server. Doing so would create a huge security issue and an easy way to
hijack DNS. Once DNSSEC is in place, it will become feasible to do
this, but I would seriously discourage anyone from holding his or her
breath while waiting (for technical, economic and political reasons).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)