multiple slave zones pointing to same file?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Oct 2 23:12:12 UTC 2010

In message <4CA7B926.9070001 at wingenbach.org>, John Wingenbach writes:

> Doesn't support it?

Correct.  It is not supported.  Don't take the fact that it doesn't
complain as evidence that this is supported practice.  The only
place where shared file use is supported is in static master zones.

> Since when does named not allow you to use the
> same file name for more then one zone?  I've been doing that for several
> years.

You should not use the same file name for any zone named writes.
This includes slave and stub zones, master files that named updates.
Doing so will cause problems.  Some of this named will detect on
restart and correct by re-transfering the zone.  Others it can't
and those require manual intervention.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC