Troubleshooting slow DNS lookup

Rianto Wahyudi me at rwahyudi.com
Fri Nov 26 04:23:20 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the pointers , your are spot on!

Doing dig +trace +dnssec www.paypal.com always fail.
After some investigation with the network guys, it appear that our upstream
firewall are dropping DNS UDP packet larger than 512.
Cisco FWSM have this configuration enabled by default :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm31/command/reference/i2.html#wp1565355

Once again thanks for the help!

Regards,
Rianto Wahyudi