Nslookup not working for external domain

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Nov 18 10:16:01 UTC 2010

On 17.11.10 11:10, Moore, Mark A. wrote:
> Subject: Nslookup not working for external domain

oh, nslookup is not working? Sure it is working, your problem is not in
nslookup.

> We are running into a issue where one of our slave servers isn't resolving
> non-local domain names.

the term "slave" only applies for domains server is fetchying from its
master. There's no "slave" for non-local domains.

> For the two domains hosted on this server, we can resolve any entry.
> However, if we try to do an nslookup to cnn, google, yahoo, etc. it fails.
> We have turned off iptables and verified internet connectivity. Below is
> the error we get. What other areas should we be looking at to
> troubleshoot?
>
> Thx in advance for any help given.
>
> nslookup www.cnn.com
> ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 192.243.160.18, trying next server

This server apparently does not provide recursion for you.
look at its logs ot put it away from resolv.conf.

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.