IPAM advantages (was Re: MySQL BIND SDB)

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 21:58:26 UTC 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Gary Wallis wrote:
> IPAM is an Infloblox proprietary system that Cricket Liu is involved with.

No.

IPAM = IP Address Management. It is not a product, but rather a product category. I believe the term was coined by Lucent, or whoever owned QIP at the time, sometime in the mid-90's. (I could be wrong, though.)

Infoblox offers an IPAM solution. I will make no comment on its relative merits versus the competition; I work in the industry. The following companies also offer commercial IPAM solutions (list is not exhaustive):

BlueCat Networks (Proteus)
Men & Mice (the eponymous Suite)
Vital/Lucent/Alcatel (QIP)
BT (DiamondIP)

There is at least one real F/OSS IPAM solution, NetReg from Carnegie Mellon University.

C/Panel, Webmin, and other systems like that are system management solutions, not IPAM solutions.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks