no. of Views and Zones

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Nov 8 18:35:54 UTC 2010

Right.

Since we do external and internal we actually have separate NICs for our
internal facing network and our external facing network.  We do use
virtual IPs for the zone transfers from the master to slaves though.

I wasn't suggesting the OP use dozens or hundreds of views because as I
noted I don't know what the performance impact is.  I was mainly posting
to say that a single zone file wouldn't do what he wanted.   Views
theoretically work but performance is a key question.

Setting up VMs would probably be a good idea from a security standpoint
(i.e. one client doesn't see what another one has).  However, it seems
one would not be able to run as many VMs as views simply because each VM
would take up resources not just for DNS but for the underlying OS on
each.

If it were me I'd prefer doing multiple VMs at least (and as many
servers as required to support the VMs) if I was concerned about
security of each customer.   This would especially be true if those
customers also had web, mail or other servers being hosted by me as
well.