"Success resolving" messages and can I Ignore them?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:31:58 UTC 2010

	We just started running bind9.7.1 in production mode and
it appears to be healthy but there is a recurring message in
named.log that goes something like:

success resolving '147.184.158.95.in-addr.arpa/PTR'
(in '95.in-addr.arpa'?) after reducing the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to
512 octets
success resolving 'www.pbs.org/A' (in 'pbs.org'?) after
reducing the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets

	I'm really glad it did that, but we got 787697
similar advisories in a 24-hour period.

What category of message is this called and can I put something
in named.conf similar to

	category lame-servers { null; };

directive that will make these messages stopp logging without
effecting other possibly important types of messages?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer