Multi-mastering with dynamic updates

Gary Wallis wgg1970 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 16:06:13 UTC 2010

Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 17/05/10 16:02, arcan666 at free.fr wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Like a lot of people over the web, I am looking for a clean
>> multi-master (multi-primary) solution that allow dynamic updates.
>
> Interesting. What's the use-case for this?

 From my personal experience the most common use of master only NS
systems is for complex view based setups that need to avoid the xfr
problems of views to slaves.

Of course there are security issues. These are usually dealt with by
having at least one (hopefully pristine) hidden master.

>> And like a lot of people over the web, I haven't found anything
>> interesting.
>> Google hasn't been friendly for now :/
>>
>> I have tried :
>> - bind-dlz over brbd doesn't allow dynamic updates.
>> - rsync the .jnl files needs a rndc reload (it's not clean).
>> - slaughtering virgins for bind's god(s) is a little dirty (well, I
>> haven't tried this [yet]..).
>> - ...
>>
>> Can someone give me a hint ?

Google for unxsBind (Bind9+ multi name server set and multiple end user
DNS manager), it does use local per master rndc commands but not rsync,
instead it uses a different SQL based job queue mechanism for
replication of master data that scales very well.