KAMINSKY vulnerability !!

P.A razor at meganet.net
Mon May 10 16:38:58 UTC 2010

Kevin,

At 1st I assumed an exploit after looking at the version of bind I was
using, which was a beta, I noticed that there was some talk of the beta
version crashing and the solution was to go to P1. Looking back on it I did
an emergency upgrade to the beta because of the kaminsky problem. Since both
our name server are chrooted and have never gave us any issues I slowly
forgot about the fact that I was using the beta version. Remember not until
today has the version giving me any issues.

As far as getting away with the version, I looked at the ISC site and
noticed that BIND 9.4.3-P5 doesn't seem to have an known issues. Since I'm
running BIND on an older server, centos 4.8 with one gig of ram, I decided
to compile 9.4.3-P5 instead of the newer version because some of my libs/etc
might be older and therefore not supported by the latest release. I need to
get these name servers up and running and being stable fast.