Issues following 9.3.5-p1 upgrade to 9.7.0-p1 Windows VMware environment

rsmith at osc.gov.on.ca rsmith at osc.gov.on.ca
Fri May 7 14:51:47 UTC 2010

We have been running Bind 9.3.5-P1 on Windows 2003 guest in VMware ESX 3.5
environment for many years with no issues. Following an upgrade to Bind
9.7.0-p1 we are experiencing a couple of issues. No Bind configuration
changes were made to config files other than the allow-query-cache,
additional-from-auth and additional-from-cache statements so that queries
worked in the new version. The errors are occurring on multiple Bind
servers on different Vmware ESX hosts.

On a regular but random basis we are getting the 2 socket error messages
logged. I have not been able to determine what is causing this to occur
nor reproduce at will.

.\socket.c:2444: unexpected error:
SOCKET_RECV: Windows error code: 1236, returning ISC error 54

We are also getting a poked timer error logged consistently soon after
Bind service start and infrequently after that.

*** POKED TIMER ***

Any suggestions / solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this communication in error, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use or disclosure is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original without making a copy or disclosing its contents.

Le présent message s'adresse exclusivement à son destinataire et peut contenir des renseignements privilégiés et confidentiels. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document ou si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, vous êtes par la présente avisé qu'il est strictement interdit de le divulguer ou de l'utiliser sans autorisation. Veuillez en avertir l'expéditeur immédiatement et détruire le message original sans le copier ou en révéler le contenu.