Preparing for upcoming DNSSEC changes on 5/5

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Mon May 3 17:15:31 UTC 2010

On 01/-10/37 13:59, Kalman Feher wrote:

> Second, make sure the tested effective size appears in your named.conf in
> the options statement "edns-udp-size" on your resolver.
>
> In your case:
>   edns-udp-size 3843;

Mine are all saying "x.x.x.x sent EDNS buffer size 4096" when I run the
dns-oarc.net test, which I assume is the default.  I, too, get the 3843 "at
least" value.

Why would I set it to 3843?  Wouldn't I want it to be set to 4096 even if
*some* device between here and dns-oarc.net only allows that smaller value?

I just woke up to this issue, sorry to say.  Interestingly, it didn't come
up (directly) during the Educause webinar about DNSSEC last week (.edu will
be signed in July).

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu