Reverse DNS on a /27 delegation and zone files

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 01:52:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

To follow up with my own email, I found a mistake that I made have corrected it.

> Do I also need to provide PTR records for these name servers? If so,
> how can I modify my reverse zone file to include that information? My

It seems I do need to provide PTR records. I confused the CNAMEs that
my provider creates with the PTRs that I create.

I'd still be interested in knowing:

> zone "0/27.yy.3.64.in-addr.arpa" {
>
> On a somewhat-related note, does bind-v9.4.2 support the '-' zone
> syntax notation? I was getting "bad data (check-names)" (from memory)

Was there a change between 9.4.2 and the current that provided the
ability to use the hypens versus the slash as a subnet separator?

Does anyone know if this format is documented well in O'Reilly's
DNS&BIND v5? Do you know up to what specific version it's applicable,
or perhaps even it's current?

Thanks again,
Alex