DDNS issues

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Mon Mar 22 19:33:01 UTC 2010

Again, sorry for the cross post here...

One other piece of information here that I failed to provide: my
workaround for the time being, which may shed some light on the
solution, maybe...

So, when I run into this problem, I need it repaired asap, as it is
breaking POTS to our customers.  So here's what I do:

1. Stop the DHCP process.
2. Clear out the lease associated with the MAC address... manually...
out of the dhcpd.leases file.  I know, I know...(sound of me slapping
my own hand).
3. Stop the DNS process.
4. Clear out the information out of the ndb files pertaining to the
client name.  This is a known value based on the client MAC address.
(Again, the hand slap)
5. Restart the DNS server.
6. Restart the DHCP server.
7. Force the client to do a DHCP request.  This recreates the lease on
the DHCP server, which then updates DDNS on the DNS server,
successfully.  This fixes the DNS problem for this client.

So, I can do it manually, but why can't the DHCP server request the
same thing to be done automagically?  Where is the provision for this
type of process?

Thanks...

Alex