bind 9.6.2 with threads hangs

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 13:58:12 UTC 2010

On Mar 19 2010, David Ford wrote:

>BIND has long had issues with threading since it started supporting
>threaded operation.  I recommend you simply recompile without thread
>support.
>
>I retry compiling with thread support about twice a year and as of late
>last year, BIND still hung soon after restart with threading enabled.

Experiences seem to differ widely in this respect. We've been running BIND
threaded for many years now, on Solaris platforms (currently 9.6.2 under
Solaris 10_x86), without encountering this sort of problem.

To the OP: do you specify max_cache_size? If not, what does the memory
consumption of BIND look like when it gets into the non-functional state?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk