Confused about 9.6.2-P1 and 9.6-ESV

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Mar 17 03:57:52 UTC 2010

In message <4BA04E63.8090200 at dougbarton.us>, Doug Barton writes:
> I noticed that the patchfix releases of BIND came out today, so
> congratulations on that. :)  However I was confused by the existence of
> both a 9.6.2-P1 and a 9.6-ESV (with the same code inside). Is 9.6.2-P1
> the last release on the 9.6 branch? For the purpose of "following" a
> branch in the FreeBSD ports and base am I better off with one or the
> other? The issue is trivial now since the code is the same, but are they
> expected to diverge?
>
> I understand the purpose of the -ESV branch, and I think it's great that
> ISC is doing this. I would just like to make some plans and need some
> guidance.

BIND 9.6-ESV is the extended support version of BIND 9.6.  It will
get security patches and other critical fixes added to it.  BIND
9.6-ESV is supported until March 31, 2013.  It's for the vendors
that need longer support with less changes.

BIND 9.6.3 will be the next maintenance release and will have less
significant fixes in it in addition to security patches and other
critical fixes.  BIND 9.6.x (other than 9.6-ESV) will be EoL'd 6
months after the release of BIND 9.8.0 or March 31, 2013 which ever
comes first.  I would expect BIND 9.8.0 to be released late 2010,
early 2011 based on previous release patterns.  We try to ensure
that there is a final release just before EoL.

Mark