rndc

ic.nssip ic.nssip at northwestel.net
Thu Mar 11 17:23:39 UTC 2010

I had some problems with versions prior 9.7.0, when the response time dramatically increased for hours after two or 3 days after cache reached the maximum size in the memory. I used to restart named process and everything was good for few days again. I have 9.7.0 up for the last week and it didn't runned into this issue... yet.

Anyway, I tried to preventive flush the cache using "rndc flush" but nothing happened in terms of memory used by named. If I kill the process the cache start building again, but with "rndc flush" there are no changes on the size of used memory. Also anytime I use "rndc flush" I'm getting a Warning:

# rndc flush
WARNING: key file (/etc/rndc.key) exists, but using default configuration file (/etc/rndc.conf)
#

Is any chance I can figure out why "rndc flush" is not purging the cache and eventually fix the WARNING message?

Thank you,
Julian