How can I fake a part of domain?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Thu Jun 24 13:26:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:38:35AM +0200, Warren Kumari wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 11:06 PM, Peter Macko wrote:
> > How can I "fake" a part of domain?
> Erm, are you *sure* that you want to do this?
>
> Really really sure?
> It's probably a bad idea, but....
>
> Step 1: Make yourself authoritative for www2, www3 -- in named.conf:
> Step 2: Make zone files www2.example.com (and obviously, www3):
> Step 3: Repeat "This was a bad idea and I feel dirty..."

If your recursive resolving name server is different from your
authoritative name server - as it should be - then there is a Step 4,
which is to insert "forward" zone declarations for these zones into your
recursive resolving name server.

Then again, since you're already munging the configuration anyway, you
could insert the zone definitions into the resolving name server ...
but, nahhh, that really defeats predictability ["if I got hit by a
truck, could they figure it out?"].

--
**