Configure bind to reflect ip addresses (ala whoami.ultradns.net)

Hauke Lampe lampe at hauke-lampe.de
Wed Jun 23 09:14:01 UTC 2010

Ricardo Oliveira wrote:

> Did anyone configured/hacked bind to reflect the ip address of the
> querying resolver as whoami.ultradns.net is doing?

I'd use scapy[1] and its AnsweringMachine module. It's probably easiest to use and adapt, although quite slow.

BIND could possibly serve the feature you want with a DLZ backend. PowerDNS also offers dynamic responses using its PipeBackend. I never used those features, though, and can't tell if that really works.

Hauke.

[1] http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/