problems resolving domains unser NSxx.DOMAINCONTROL.COM - this problem i have too! :(((((

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jun 23 07:51:24 UTC 2010

In message <AANLkTinjqoRpLnyqj5tsO2TDwLt_ROPzDMrYMOIPHYTO at mail.gmail.com>, Piff
 writes:
> Mark,
>
> more than once you have blamed firewal but I have tested without
> firewall and NSxx.DOMAINCONTROL.COM do not answer to "dig +dnssec".

Wrong.  The nameserver DO answer these queries.

# dig +dnssec @ns33.domaincontrol.com. replacementservices.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1 <<>> +dnssec @ns33.domaincontrol.com. replacementservices.com.
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;replacementservices.com.       IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
replacementservices.com. 3600   IN      A       72.32.12.235

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
replacementservices.com. 3600   IN      NS      ns33.domaincontrol.com.
replacementservices.com. 3600   IN      NS      ns34.domaincontrol.com.

;; Query time: 346 msec
;; SERVER: 216.69.185.17#53(216.69.185.17)
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 23 17:39:43 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 109

#

Since you are not getting answers then there is a problem between
you and the nameservers in question and as just about every one
else is getting answers as well this puts the problem close to you.
i.e. Your network or your ISP's network.  Something on the path is
doing DPI tests and is rejecting the response.  Do you have a NAT
that does DPI?

> The real problem is bind.  Freshly reloaded bind will do a query with
> OPT EDNS0 set and after a timeout  retry the query without OPT EDNS0
> but after some time the queries are only with OPT EDNS0 set. Why? Why no
> fallback?  My machines are running version 9.6-ESV-R1 and 9.4-ESV-R2.

It does fallback to plain DNS.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org