problems resolving domains unser NSxx.DOMAINCONTROL.COM - this problem i have too! :(((((

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 22 09:20:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 05:31:59PM +0200, Rok Poto??nik wrote:
> Anyway.. I found out what the problem is... they don't reply to dnssec
> enabled requests...
>
> $ dig +short @ns33.domaincontrol.com. replacementservices.com.
> 72.32.12.235
>
> $ dig +short +dnssec @ns33.domaincontrol.com. replacementservices.com.
>
> wanna boycott godaddy?

Actually, they don't support EDNS either, so you'll get timeouts even
without DNSSEC:

erwin at orange:~% dig +short +edns=0 @ns33.domaincontrol.com.  replacementservices.com.
erwin at orange:~% dig +short @ns33.domaincontrol.com.  replacementservices.com.
72.32.12.235

Note that Bind 9.5 fixed the timeout issue by resending it as a plain
request, you may want to upgrade your recursors if they are still on
9.4.  See last item in the list: https://www.isc.org/software/bind/new-features/9.5

-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                       (o_ _o)       http://droso.org
Ceterum censeo                 \\\_\   /_///
Carthaginem esse delendam        <____) (____>    erwin at lansing.dk