SRV record question

Niobos niobos at dest-unreach.be
Wed Jun 16 14:44:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm a bit confused on how exactly to implement the SRV records.
At this moment, it's more an exercise for me, since client software
doesn't use them (yet).

I have a CALDAV server running on a vhost (apache config). Currently,
DNS looks like this:
caldav   CNAME  server
server   A 1.2.3.4
         AAAA dead:beef:cafe::1

So in fact, I'm already abusing CNAME to map a service to a host. This
is convenient, since the IP is only specified once. (So if it changes,
there is no risk of overlooking an entry)

The trouble starts when adding SRV records. Spontaneously, I'd add
_caldav._tcp   SRV 10 10 80 caldav

However, RFC2782 explicitly states that: the name MUST NOT be an alias
Which would require me to change DNS to look like:
caldav   A 1.2.3.4
caldav   AAAA dead:beef:cafe::1
server   A 1.2.3.4
server   AAAA dead:beef:cafe::1
_caldav._tcp   SRV 10 10 80 caldav

In this configuration, the server's IP is present multiple times, which
will lead to mistakes in the future. I can't let the SRV-record point
directly to "server" either, since the vhost-configuration needs the
correct Host:-HTTP header.

Or am I missing something?

Niobos