disable dnssec in bind resolver

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Sat Jun 5 06:07:35 UTC 2010

> The DO bit is always set whenever the server includes an EDNS OPT RR
> (I thought it was based on the specification, but don't remember which
> sentence of which RFC says so).

I was taken aback to read this, because I remembered seeing code in named
that clears the DO bit if "dnssec-enable" is "no":

        if (!client->view->enablednssec) {
                client->extflags &= ~DNS_MESSAGEEXTFLAG_DO;
                [...]
        }

Looking further, though, I see that Jinmei is correct.  The above code
clears the DO bit in replies sent from an authoritative name server; it
doesn't apply to queries being sent by a resolver.  Resolvers do indeed
set the DO bit unconditionally.  Sorry for any confusion caused by my
earlier statement to the contrary.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.