DNSSEC / DLV for 2001:8b0:151:1:e2cb:4eff:fe26:6481

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Wed Jun 2 16:22:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:

> Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Nothing that I can see. Maybe dnsviz can't cope with multiple PTR
> > records in an RRset, as your first case has? (On the other hand it
> > handles multiple A records in forward zones OK.)
>
> to be fair, multiple PTR RRs is something we added in BIND gethostbyaddr()
> in more or less direct contravention to RFC 1034. if dnsviz doesn't handle
> it (and i don't know if it doesn't) then it's not dnsviz's fault at all
> since the DNS RFC's say that there will only be one PTR RR at an in-addr.

Not to take this off topic, but RFC 2181 (sec 10.2) clarifies that a PTR
RRset *may* have multiple RRs, but each must point to a canonical name, as
opposed to an alias.

That being said, DNSViz is intended to consider multiple RRs in the PTR
RRset, but I'm still trying to track down the issue that is causing it to
report a bogus signature.  I'll report back when I have an answer.

Regards,
Casey