Question on query-source, transfer-source, notify-source

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Wed Jul 28 15:03:43 UTC 2010

I have a BIND config question.  First some history.

My initial two DNS servers (A and B) had three NICs and three IP
addresses.  Then I installed two additional servers (C and D),
each with one NIC; each server has one base address and one DNS address.
All four servers run Solaris.  When I installed C and D, I placed in
the config file

     query-source address <dns-address>;
     transfer-source <dns-address>;
     notify-source <dns-address>;

Then we changed servers A and B to new hardware, and we have in
addition to the three NICs each, a base, non-DNS address for each.
We made no config file changes, and no users have reported problems.
These "new" servers A and B have been running for a few years.

Now, I am converting all four servers to an Ubuntu platform, and I am
revisiting the config file.  In looking through various firewall and
DNS query logs, I see that machines A and B are using the non-DNS
address for DNS activity.  A and B are sending queries to the Internet
and queries to the hidden BIND master via the non-DNS addresses.
The Internet queries are being blocked at the firewall because we do
not allow non-registered DNS addresses to send DNS queries to the
Internet, and the non-DNS addresses have no firewall conduits.
I can add three options directives above, as I have done on servers
C and D, but the ARM seems to imply that I can list only one address
in each directive, and I have three DNS addresses for each server.

The BIND is 9.7.x on all machines.  Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov