BIND integration with windows DNS

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jul 27 07:24:55 UTC 2010

On 07/27/2010 08:17 AM, Kalman Feher wrote:

>> Since I don`t want all dynamic updates from windows clients polluting my main
>> zone file, but still want one primary DNS serving the main domain instead of
>> two, BIND and windows, what it is the best option if there is one.
>>
> Create a subdomain for your clients and delegate it to the Windows servers,
> who will then receive the updates.

This will work, but IIRC it requires changing the "primary DNS suffix"
on all the clients (a reboot operation)? I must admit I don't know if
the clients will instead a different domain returned in DHCP option 81.

There is also then the issue of the msDS-AllowedDNSSuffixes value on the
domain container, if you want the AD objects to have correct dNSHostName
value (although Samba seems to be able to update this just fine...)

Basically, Microsoft made this much harder than it needs to be (for
obvious reasons)