ignoring forwarder zone statements..

Pete Vickers pete at systemnet.no
Mon Jul 26 17:46:49 UTC 2010

Hi list,

I have a BIND9 server in a non public internet connected network. Most of the functionality is working correctly but I have a specific problem.

The server 'resides' in a 3rd level zone ( e.g. my-ns-server.level3.level2.level1. ) for which it is SOA & NS, in addition it is slave for the level1 zone.

sample from named.conf:

// slave level1 from masters.
zone "level1" {
       type slave;
       file "slave/level1";
       notify no;
       masters { 1.2.3.4; 1.2.3.5;  };
};

// forward directly to otherlevel2 due to absence delegation from level1
zone "otherlevel2.level1" {
       type forward;
       forwarders { 2.3.4.5; 2.3.4.6; };
};

(my root.hint also correctly references the private "." servers)

My problem is that when clients query my server for entries within "otherlevel2.level1", instead forwarding the queries directly to the declared forwarders, instead my server replies with NXDOMAIN  (presumably from the level1 slave data.)

any insight appreciated

/Pete