dnssec-signzone gets verbose

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Sat Jul 24 16:41:01 UTC 2010

After upgrading to bind 9.7.1 recently, some of my scripts started to
output text when they shouldn't.  Digging a little, I quickly found
that dnssec-signzone now unconditionally writes information like this
on stderr:

    Verifying the zone using the following algorithms: RSASHA1.
    Zone signing complete:
    Algorithm: RSASHA1: KSKs: 1 active, 0 stand-by, 0 revoked
			ZSKs: 0 active, 0 stand-by, 0 revoked

I can understand this information is useful.  But why is it printed
unconditionally, even on verbosity level 0?  And why is it written to
stderr rather than stdout?

My scripts can of course be rewritten so this output is thrown away.
But it seems a little strange I would have to do that.  To me, it
looks like this output would be appropriate only when verbose output
is explicitly requested.