Multiple masters expected behavior?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Thu Jul 22 21:59:10 UTC 2010

I have multiple interfaces on my master and multiple interfaces on most of
my slaves.

I've got one of the slaves set up so that its masters {}; statement has two
of the master's interfaces in it.  The preferred is first, with the
non-preferred second.  I was contemplating using this on all slaves to
guard against a network path failure.

Note that I also have both of the slave's interfaces in the also-notify
statement on the master (it's an unpublished slave).

I would have thought that BIND would always hit the first and never the
second.  That doesn't seem to be the case however.  In fact, in a few cases
I've seen it seems to use both, though not round-robinning that I can see
from the logs.

Is that expected behavior?

BIND 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2

--